The Mindbody Self
How Longevity Is Culturally Learned and the Causes of Health Are InheritedBook - 2017
Neuropsychologist Mario Martinez is a pioneer in the science of the mindbody - his term for that essential oneness of cognition and biology - and a passionate advocate for its power to reshape our lives, if we work with it consciously. In The MindBody Self , he builds on the foundation he laid in his critically acclaimed The MindBody Code to explore the cultural conditions that coauthor our reality and shape every aspect of our lives, from health and longevity to relationships and self-esteem. Then he offers practical tools we can use to shed outworn patterns and create sustainable change.
You'll read about:
- How our cultural beliefs affect the diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment of disease
- The difference between growing older and 'aging'
- What happens when we move beyond our tribe's expectations
- How to navigate adversity using uncertainty as a guide
- Biocognitive tools for a healthy life
Each chapter concludes with exercises and experiential processes that make complex scientific discoveries not only accessible, but applicable. The result is a paradigm shift in which the myths of doom are shattered by the science of hope, survival takes a back seat to meaning, and fear gives way to love.